With offices in Washington, DC and Seattle, Van Ness Feldman is a leading law firm providing legal counsel, thought leadership, and policy strategy to help clients navigate the complex intersection between business and government as they relate to the nation's energy, environment, and natural resources laws. The firm is home to more than 200 attorneys, public policy professionals, land use planners, management professionals, and staff. We offer exceptional career opportunities in an environment that is challenging, rewarding and, we believe, truly different from our competitors.
At Van Ness Feldman, people are recognized as the firm's greatest asset and the foundation of our success. This commitment to those who make up the Van Ness Feldman team is reflected in the core values that are put into practice every day: inclusiveness, mutual respect, teamwork, and collegiality.
Investing in our team, and respecting our unique culture, is central to our reputation as an industry leader. Encouraging individuals to undertake challenging work assignments, offering the support necessary to succeed, and providing thoughtful feedback fosters a work environment that is dynamic, creative, and unique. The firm recognizes that people are at their best when in an environment characterized by a healthy balance between work, family, personal, and community commitments.
The firm places a priority on the value of public service. Founded by four former Congressional and Executive branch counsel in 1977, the firm has consistently attracted former elected officials, attorneys from the Department of Justice, senior staff from influential Congressional committees, Executive and federal agencies, and the White House. The firm also has an active pro bono program that encourages professionals to provide continuing service to the community. Please visit our Pro Bono page to learn more about these important efforts.
The firm values diverse viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds. We are committed to attracting, mentoring, and retaining the best talent and fostering a culture in which all employees feel valued and are empowered to grow professionally. Please visit our Diversity page to learn more about these efforts.
We are pleased that you are interested in a career at Van Ness Feldman. Please see below for more information about joining our team.
Notice to Prospective Employees: Van Ness Feldman participates in the e-verify program. For additional information please click here. For information in Spanish, click here.
Real Estate Partner
The Seattle office of Van Ness Feldman LLP is seeking a real estate partner to join its dynamic real estate team. For more than 35 years, our real estate group* has been involved in some of the region’s most significant real property transactions, including acquisition, development, finance, commercial leasing, management of large due diligence evaluations, structuring of multi-property acquisitions, regulatory analysis, compliance, and mitigation. A portable practice and a historical track record of strong client relationships is desirable. Confidential inquiries can be sent to Saira Rhodes at email@example.com
(*formerly Buck & Gordon and GordonDerr LLP)
Van Ness Feldman’s Summer Associate Program is an important source for attorney recruitment. The Summer Associate Program offers law students an opportunity to observe and participate in cutting-edge issues related to energy, natural resources, real estate law, and public policy.
The firm seeks accomplished, well-rounded, and motivated law students with a demonstrated interest in our core areas of practice. Van Ness Feldman’s summer associate program provides future attorneys with a realistic experience of the life and practice of the firm and is limited to a select number of candidates. The program involves summer associates in a variety of substantive assignments for different clients and offers an opportunity to work directly with attorneys and professionals throughout the firm. Each summer associate is assigned a mentor to provide guidance and ensure that the summer associate has an enjoyable and productive summer.
Interested candidates can submit an application here.
Any questions regarding our firm or our recruiting process can be directed to DiNoua Avery, Recruiting Coordinator.
Executive/Legal Assistant Position Downtown Seattle
With offices in Washington D.C. and Seattle, Van Ness Feldman is a leading law firm focusing on energy, environmental, and natural resource law. The firm seeks an excellent Executive/Legal Assistant who will work closely with, and support the needs of, several attorneys and a land use planner in the Seattle office. The position will provide comprehensive legal, secretarial, and administrative support and will provide an opportunity to gain valuable experience and insight into the intersecting fields of energy, environmental issues, real estate, and policy. The ideal candidate will be a highly adaptable, proactive individual who is familiar with legal processes and well-versed in all Microsoft Office programs.
Typical tasks include but are not limited to:
- Perform complex word processing, including drafting correspondence and business documents, formatting, managing stylistic layouts, and editing documents for accuracy and consistency
- Proofread and provide original feedback considering document’s tone, persuasiveness, clarity, and overall message
- Schedule, prioritize and manage calendars, assist with meeting coordination, and book travel arrangements
- Assist attorneys with legal research
- Work closely with billing personnel to finalize time entries and perform expense reconciliation and reporting
- Support Executive Directive with day-to-day assignments related to management of the Seattle office, including calendaring and scheduling of firm-wide events
- Assist the Marketing Department, when necessary, with the creation of marketing materials, RFPs, and new business development initiatives
- Provide general office and client support as needed
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of administrative/office experience, law firm experience preferred
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Track record in proofing and editing
- Team-oriented approach
- Fierce attention to detail
- Excellent organization skills and ability to handle administrative details with minimal supervision
- Integrity and the ability to use discretion in handling confidential information
- Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft Office, especially Word, Outlook and Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; concentration in law, political science, business, communications, English, environmental studies or technical communication a plus.
Competitive benefits package including vacation, health, dental, 401(k) and profit sharing plan. EOE. Please provide a cover letter, resume and salary requirements through Van Ness Feldman's hiring portal
. No phone inquiries, please.
Van Ness Feldman is committed to promoting diversity within our firm, our profession, and our larger community. At Van Ness Feldman, diversity encompasses a wide range of characteristics and life experiences, including gender, age, race, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, political affiliation, marital status, physical ability, military and government experience, education, and family relationships. The firm’s goal is to maintain a work environment where the unique attributes, perspectives, backgrounds, skills, and abilities of each individual thrive and contribute to our collective success. To that end, the firm has established a 1L Diversity Clerkship.
The Clerkship is open to highly motivated first‐year law students from diverse backgrounds who have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership ability.
Requirements to Apply:
- Undergraduate and law school transcripts (if your law school grades are not yet available, please apply and forward when available)
- A brief personal statement addressing what diversity means to you and why you are interested in Van Ness Feldman
- Two professional references
- A letter of recommendation from a law school professor
- A legal writing sample that has not been edited by others
Click here for the online application.
The firm is accepting resumes from December 1, 2016 through March 5, 2017. Applicants who are invited to interview may be contacted at any time starting from the date the program is announced through March. Questions may be directed to DiNoua Avery, Recruiting & Diversity Coordinator, at (202) 298-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Lisa Pavia, Director of Business & Professional Development, at (202) 298-1899 or email@example.com, or any member of the firm’s Diversity Committee.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY
Van Ness Feldman enthusiastically extends an equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, military status, physical disability, or any similarly protected status. The firm has a policy of positive action to ensure the fulfillment of our commitment to a diverse and equitable workplace.